[Rock-dev] Growing list of ruby gems - autorespawn?

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:46:10 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Leif Christensen
<leif.christensen at dfki.de> wrote:
> something added in the past days apparently needs the autorespawn gem,
> which on my system needs Ruby version >=2.1.0, which is not available on
> Ubuntu 14.04.

It is an optional dependency, and I forgot about the 2.1+ constraint.
Could you try https://github.com/rock-core/package_set/pull/75. I am
checking it on a VM, but that's going to take some time.

For more information about the 2.2+ compatibilty problem of last week,
see https://github.com/rock-core/package_set/pull/71

> Are we not trying to support Ubuntu 14.04 anymore on master?

Yes we are. But speaking for me, I am not running 2.0 / 14.04, so it
is difficult to make sure that every single change is 2.0 / 14.04
compatible on master. Though I *am* trying very hard. Have I not
forgotten about the constraint, I would have obviously tested it on a
clean 14.04.

> And is there a weighing of interests before adding yet another gem to the
> dependency list?

The never ending "are dependencies bad" question. In this particular
case, autorespawn has been developed by yours truly, and I did not do
it for fun. However, supporting ruby 2.0 in autorespawn would have
been a pain and it is only an optional dependency. I guess I could
also have "hidden" the dependency, telling people orally that they
have to install the gem to get functionality X...