[Rock-dev] Typelib plugin path and debian packages

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Mon Jan 16 16:29:46 CET 2017

Hi,

Sebastian and I found an error and we are unsure at which point we
should solve it.

Typelib can set its plugin path by an environment variable. Since the
16. December the variable is set by the cmake_package definition in
orocos.packages (using the install path for the package).

Now when using the debian package installation we are testing at DFKI,
this folder does not exist. The install path is the same, but the
insallation is overriden by an installation using apt-get to
/opt/rock[...], so the TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH is not correct anymore and
the install/lib/typelib folder does not exist.

Sadly boost::filesystem throws an exception which is not catched when
the folder does not exist and orogen fails to generate.

So just adding the /opt path to the variable does not help, orogen still
stops on the exception.

There are several options to fix the issue:

1. Set the TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH properly with only existing folders
   * aka: make the overriding mechanism for deb packages better to the
cmake_package code is not evaluated

2. Make TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH tolerant against missing folders and just
add the path to the .dep plugins (allow wrong paths in env)

3. Create the folder and add the path of the .deb package (currently
easiest workaround)

IMO No.1 ist the best solution.

What do you think?

Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de