[Rock-dev] Typelib plugin path and debian packages

Thomas Roehr thomas.roehr at dfki.de
Mon Jan 30 12:06:38 CET 2017

On 16.01.2017 16:29, Steffen Planthaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian and I found an error and we are unsure at which point we
> should solve it.
>
> Typelib can set its plugin path by an environment variable. Since the
> 16. December the variable is set by the cmake_package definition in
> orocos.packages (using the install path for the package).
>
> Now when using the debian package installation we are testing at DFKI,
> this folder does not exist. The install path is the same, but the
> insallation is overriden by an installation using apt-get to
> /opt/rock[...], so the TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH is not correct anymore and
> the install/lib/typelib folder does not exist.
>
> Sadly boost::filesystem throws an exception which is not catched when
> the folder does not exist and orogen fails to generate.
>
> So just adding the /opt path to the variable does not help, orogen still
> stops on the exception.
>

> There are several options to fix the issue:
>
> 1. Set the TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH properly with only existing folders
>    * aka: make the overriding mechanism for deb packages better to the
> cmake_package code is not evaluated
>
> 2. Make TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH tolerant against missing folders and just
> add the path to the .dep plugins (allow wrong paths in env)
>
> 3. Create the folder and add the path of the .deb package (currently
> easiest workaround)
>

> IMO No.1 ist the best solution.
>
> What do you think?

I would adapt the init.rb of the rock.osdeps package to extend the
plugin path (with the global one) and create the missing local
installation folder.
Assuming TYPELIB_PLUGIN_PATH does handle the setting of multiple
directories.

--
Thomas Röhr (M.Sc.)
Space Robotics

 Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

 Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
 E-Mail:   thomas.roehr at dfki.de