[Rock-dev] Autoproj v2

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:57:48 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Thomas Roehr <thomas.roehr at dfki.de> wrote:
> I briefly dealt now with autoproj v2 and therefore just a brief wrapup
> what I found and parts of it should be mentioned in History.txt or
> Changelog:
>
> Changes:
> - configuration is now in <workspace>/.autoproj, e.g.
>    .autoproj/config.yml formerly in autoproj/config.yml
> - .gems/ is obsolete since bundler is in use now (and default is
> ~/.autoproj/gems/) (regarding Gemfile see question below)
>
> Dropped functionality:
> - 'amake -n <package>'
>   "autoproj: wrong package selection on command line, cannot find a
> match for -n"

Nice. I'll add the v1-to-v2 transition info into the README and
generally speaking update the README.

> Open questions for me:
>
> 1. in order to install (manually) a gem into a workspace -- add the gem
> to .autoproj/Gemfile or .autoproj/Gemfile.lock and then bundle install?

No ! Add to (not dot) autoproj/Gemfile and re-run `autoproj osdeps`. I
thought I mentioned that in my "autoproj v2" emails. Do NOT touch
.autoproj/Gemfile.

> 2. is there a good way of manually installing autoproj -- without using
> the bootstrap script, e.g., something comparably to (with autoproj v1)

Well, there's no supported way to do it without running the
autoproj_install script (which only installs the autoproj environment
without doing a bootstrap). And the right question is: why there
should be ?

> 3. what is the redirection good for?
>         BUNDLE_GEMFILE=<dev>/install/gems/Gemfile
>         install/gems/Gemfile.lock --> .autoproj/Gemfile.lock
>         install/gems/Gemfile.lock --> .autoproj/Gemfile.lock

What do you mean by "redirection" ?