[Rock-dev] Autoproj v2

Thomas Roehr thomas.roehr at dfki.de
Wed May 31 19:38:07 CEST 2017

> Nice. I'll add the v1-to-v2 transition info into the README and
> generally speaking update the README.
Yap, pasting the content of your former email (just rereading, see
below) should already do

>> Open questions for me:
>>
>> 1. in order to install (manually) a gem into a workspace -- add the gem
>> to .autoproj/Gemfile or .autoproj/Gemfile.lock and then bundle install?
>
> No ! Add to (not dot) autoproj/Gemfile and re-run `autoproj osdeps`. I
> thought I mentioned that in my "autoproj v2" emails. Do NOT touch
> .autoproj/Gemfile.

My first search was unsuccessful, that's why I asked. But Gemfile seem
to be a good keyword so could retrieve the mail again, thx.

>> 2. is there a good way of manually installing autoproj -- without using
>> the bootstrap script, e.g., something comparably to (with autoproj v1)
>
> Well, there's no supported way to do it without running the
> autoproj_install script (which only installs the autoproj environment
> without doing a bootstrap). And the right question is: why there
> should be ?

Because I find it to be a robust, self sufficient and transparent
process to start my installations.
All tools are (most often) onboard and no need to look for an
(potentially outdated) autoproj_install script.

>> 3. what is the redirection good for?
>>         BUNDLE_GEMFILE=<dev>/install/gems/Gemfile
>>         install/gems/Gemfile.lock --> .autoproj/Gemfile.lock
>>         install/gems/Gemfile.lock --> .autoproj/Gemfile.lock
>
> What do you mean by "redirection" ?
I assumed eval_gemfile '.autoproj/Gemfile' etc. to be some kind of
redirection and would have expected: BUNDLE_GEMFILE=.autoproj/Gemfile.lock

But since 'eval_gemfile' is Bundler DSL and with your hint to
autoproj/Gemfile, I guess that this rather collects and injects all gem
dependencies for bundler?

--
Thomas Röhr (M.Sc.)
Space Robotics

 Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

 Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
 E-Mail:   thomas.roehr at dfki.de