[Rock-dev] Autoproj v2

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed May 31 19:48:51 CEST 2017

> Because I find it to be a robust, self sufficient and transparent
> process to start my installations.
> no need to look for an (potentially outdated) autoproj_install script.

First of all, any process that involves getting into a dot folder
manually is NOT transparent and self-sufficient. It's the equivalent
of using private APIs. You can't complain if it stops working.

If you don't download the script each time, you're doing something
wrong. I would have happily broken your "transparent install method"
and would not have apologized for it anytime. The only supported
bootstrap method is and has always been:

- [download the autoproj_install or autoproj_bootstrap script from github]
- run the script

That being said, (3) is the reason why (2) is significantly harder to do on v2.

An autoproj install has two bundler environments. One is dedicated to
autoproj and autoproj only. It's the one in .autoproj and is
completely isolated from the workspace's bundler environment.

The workspace environment "imports" the autoproj environment to get
the same version constraints w.r.t. autoproj and its dependencies.

The overall goal being that everything that is related to the "build"
is found in install/ and can be deleted at any time.

Sylvain