[Rock-dev] Amake stuck

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Tue Sep 19 11:05:17 CEST 2017

Hi,

There are several people stuck with this bug.

Touching the stamp files results in a rebuild, after this amake is still
stuck.

For me, downgrading autobuild to 1.11.0 worked by adding:
gem "autobuild", "<= 1.11.0"
to .autobuild/Gemfile.

When switching back, a single package is started to build, but amake
stops aber the build phase. Restarting the build, the package is
installed and amake stops again. From now on amake is stuck at the
beginning.

Hope this information is useful.

Steffen

Am 18.09.2017 um 18:54 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> If autobuild is looping on stamp file comparison, it would look like
> it tries to touch a file but then the new timestamp is not updated.
>
> There's a codepath that checks for high-resolution timestamps ...
> might be some problem with this
> (https://github.com/rock-core/autobuild/blob/master/lib/autobuild/timestamps.rb#L88).
>
> Are you on a network drive ?
>
> Sylvain
>
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Janosch Machowinski
> <Janosch.Machowinski at dfki.de> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> this is somehow related to the *-stamp files in the
>> install/log dir. Amake checks these files without idle
>> all the time.
>>
>> As a workaround, you can delete the install/log
>> folder. After this amake will at least work one time,
>> without eating you cpu up. Bad sideeffect, this
>> triggers a rebuild.
>> Greetings
>>       Janosch
>>
>> Am 13.09.2017 um 16:08 schrieb Dennis Hemker:
>>> Hey,
>>> I experience a strange amake behavior since today: When executing amake, it uses 100% CPU on one core, but does not go further than the output of "typelib: using the castxml importer". No gcc compiler is executed. I deleted the install folder, did a rebuild and also a completely new bootstrap. The bootstrap finished fine, but after that I tried an "amake <PACKAGE>" and it got stuck again. Furthermore, the problem occurs on two computers, both Ubuntu 16.04. Additionally, on both platforms an aup was performed yesterday and an apt-get upgrade today. Somewhere in between there, amake stopped working.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Dennis
>>

>> --
>>    Dipl. Inf. Janosch Machowinski
>>    SAR- & Sicherheitsrobotik
>>
>>    Universität Bremen
>>    FB 3 - Mathematik und Informatik
>>    AG Robotik
>>    Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
>>    28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>    Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-6611
>>
>>    Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftstelle:
>>    Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
>>    28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>    Tel.:    +49 421 178 45-6614
>>    Empfang: +49 421 178 45-6600
>>    Fax:     +49 421 178 45-4150
>>    E-Mail:  jmachowinski at informatik.uni-bremen.de
>>
>>    Weitere Informationen: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/robotik

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de