[Rock-dev] Rock-ROS communication

Steffen Planthaber steffen.planthaber at dfki.de
Thu Jun 24 14:51:56 CEST 2021

Hi,

First and important: Don't use stable branch, use master.

I had a closer look into my last success:

I used this (stripped down ros package_set):

* https://github.com/planthaber/rock-ros-package_set

  * or: - github: planthaber/rock-ros-package_set

With this buildconf: https://github.com/planthaber/rock-ros-buildconf
(some packages defined here are on an internal server)

But the important part is this part the overrides.yml:

overrides:
   - tools/rtt_transports/ros:
     github: planthaber/rtt_ros_transport
     branch: melodic

https://github.com/planthaber/rtt_ros_transport/tree/melodic

The original Idea was to create a seperate workspace with a geneic
repeater task that translates rock-ros in a docker image.

But the work was discontinued because you need to set ip up also and
extend the workspace with additional typekits.

You asked for other ways to solve it: The DFKI created a library to
control robots independent from the Robot OS (ROS/ROCK):

https://github.com/dfki-ric/robot_remote_control

Perpaps it could be used, if not, uder the hood it uses ZMQ and google
protobuf to transfer the data. Which could als be an option at the cost
of one additional conversion.

Best, Steffen

Am 17.06.21 um 15:47 schrieb Vicu-Mihalis Maer:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to send some data between Rock and ROS. I am using ubuntu 18.04.
>
> I have tried following the Rock/ROS bridge examples on the rock-robotics
> website but I ran into the issue described here:
> https://github.com/rock-ros/package_set/issues/1
>

> However, reading through some e-mail threads in the rock-dev mailing
> list archive e.g.:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/rock-dev@dfki.de/msg01771.html
>
> I have found that the package-set is not necessarily required. I have
> tried the method described in the e-mail thread above, but I have two
> problems. If I try installing the stable branch, I get an error from
> tools/roby and using the master branch, I get the following error:
>
> ImportError: No module named genmsg
> CMake Error at
> /opt/ros/melodic/share/catkin/cmake/safe_execute_process.cmake:11 (message):
>
> The module does exist.
>

> Is there any other way to establish communication between the two
> systems? I don't need to build ROS nodes within a rock workspace neither
> the other way around, just a message transport between ports and ROS topics.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Vicu Maer

  Steffen Planthaber

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de

   Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
   Trippstadter Strasse 122, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany

   Geschäftsführung:
   Prof. Dr. Antonio Krüger (Vorsitzender)
   Helmut Ditzer

   Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: