[mary-dev] javax / marytts on android

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:51:35 CET 2012

Hi, Dennis.  I'm quite interested in an Android port of Mary TTS.  I
currently listen to all my audio books using Mary TTS to generate the
audio files in Windows or Linux, and play them in Astro Player Nova on
my Android phone, which let's me play at a decent speed.  I also use
Mary TTS with NVDA to read the Windows screen to me.  Currently, the
most significant issues with Mary TTS for users who need to use it
with a screen reader seem to be latency and efficiency.  On Android, I
expect these issues to be worse, and unusable on platforms without an
FPU, which still includes most Android phones, AFAIK.  I am interested
in building a "light" version of Mary TTS, converted to fixed-point
arithmetic, loading only hsmm modules needed for TTS, and with some
tuning to reduce memory and CPU consumption.  This would make it more
responsive in Windows and Linux, and I suspect make it a good synth
for Android.  Let me know if you'd be interested in collaborating on a
light version.

Thanks,
Bill