[Rock-dev] Enview is dead. Long live Vizkit.

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Fri Dec 24 01:26:30 CET 2010

Am 23.12.2010 um 12:12 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:

> On 12/22/2010 08:13 PM, Alexander Duda wrote:
>>
>> Am 22.12.2010 um 14:40 schrieb Jakob Schwendner:
>>> Currently Vizkit only holds the tools for 3d visualisation components
>>> based on OpenSceneGraph, but I don't see why it shouldn't contain 2d
>>> stuff also (maybe the widget grid stuff?).
>>
>> widget_grid is based on ruby/orocos.rb and has different requirements for its plugins. Therefore I would not mix them up. Personally I would put widget_grid into orocos.rb after it is stable maybe with a different name (Orocos::Viz for example).
> I don't really agree.
>
> Yes, widget_grid right now is *very* integrated with orocos.rb. But it should not be. I'll have a look at some point about integrating the Roby visualisation in there as well *and it should be possible*

At the moment widget_grid is nothing else than a class that brings qt widgets and orocos.rb ports together. That means it  basically bridges orocos.rb ports with qt slots. It is not displaying any data. This is done by the plugin widgets. I agree there is a small function doing the layout stuff which could go into a orocos.rb independent class. I am currently working on that.

Maybe the confusing thing here is the naming. For me widget_grid is mainly the bridge between orocos.rb and qt slots because this is 90% of the code. And I want to put these 90% into orocos.rb.

The plugin widgets and the loading part are a different story.

> In other words, +1 for having widget_grid go into vizkit at some point.

I am still for putting widget_grid (90% of the code) into orocos.rb.
Like I said the plugin widgets are a different story but putting them into the same src folder like the Vizkit plugins is at least for me a little bit confusing because they implementing a different interface. I completely agree an other Vizkit folder could be a good place for them.

If all other thinks we should still put widget_grid into Vizkit.
I am fine with it.

Anyway merry christmas :-)

Alex