[Rock-dev] Non blocking task inspector

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Mon Aug 6 16:13:52 CEST 2012

Currently the task inspector blocks if there is a bad network connection
to the remote task. I pushes a non blocking version to the branch proxy.
If you want to try it out add the following lines to autoproj/overrides.yml:

overrides:
     - tools/orocos.rb
       branch: proxy
     - gui/vizkit
       branch: proxy*
*
This push required some heavy changes in orocos.rb (see git log) and
uses boost threads (double buffering) to synchronize the
remote task with the local TaskContextProxy. All unit test are passed
but I am not planing to push the changes to master before the end of
this month. Nevertheless this branch will be the default branch for the
project I am working on and any other project is welcome to use it. In
the long run this will replace the orogen task port_proxy,
Vizkit::TaskProxy, Vizkit::PortProxy and Vizkit::ReaderWriterProxy.

Key Features:
* base for nearly non blocking GUIs which automatically reconnect
* non blocking access to remote task interfaces
-- reading properties, attributes, model name, rtt state
-- iterating over ports, properties, attributes
* non blocking auto reconnect
* non blocking corba name service client
* non blocking creation of Orocos::TaskContext, Orocos::OutputPort,
Orocos::InputPort

Missing Features:
* no support for avahi
* connect_to, starting, stopping a task and writing properties are still
blocking
* requires to load all models at start-up to be able to load the right
transport plugins from the c++ thread

Alex

--
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda