[Rock-dev] mars_core removing of Depreciated Tasks: MarsServo and MarsJoint

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Mon Dec 9 11:11:49 CET 2013

On 09.12.2013 11:04, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 10:39 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
>> Not part of the joint standard, so should be removed too
> There is no reason to remove it right away (backward compatibility).
> Yes, we should drive people to the new dynamixel driver, but I don't see
> why we should force it.
We should make it more importand, it get's harder and harder to keep an
overview about "current" modules.
Maybe not really "force" but increase the pressure. The datatype change
is in most of the cases not ciritical. This also triggers a discussion
about new-types if something is missed within the new type and make the
types more usable.

> On the MARS side, the real question IMO is: how costly is it to maintain
> these deprecated drivers ?

I get confused about some namings, if you really want to keep it i would
then suggest the creation of a deprecated class.
the mars_package itself was quite full and it was hard to keep a
overview of the "old" classes.
That was also the reason why the servo was twice there. If you
(@steffen) want to create a backward_compatibility class which includes
the MarsServo i would be fine with that,  but please take the
maintenance of it in this case.

Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn