[Rock-dev] mars_core removing of Depreciated Tasks: MarsServo and MarsJoint

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Tue Dec 10 09:13:47 CET 2013

> >> The dynamixel hardware drivers (both) do that, Mars::Servo also did
> >> that, Mars::Joints is not.
> > then maybe reimplemend this in your module
> >>
> >> This leads to a missing Sweep mode that can be set via .yml file.
> > I'm sorry, if you need sweep functionallity in the long way, you/we
> > need to create a sweeping task...
>
> Putting the sweep into MY module/task is imo a bad idea, that could result
in
> concurrent writes on the position, when more tasks (possibly from other
> projects) want to set a position.

We did have this discussion a while ago. For various reasons I also agree,
that it is better have the tasks separated.
In spacebot we used a tilt_scan module
https://gitorious.org/rock-slam/orogen-tilt_scan
which sees the servo as a unit with the laser scanner.

The interface::Servo should go and not be used again. Same as the
drivers::Dynamixel.
On the matter of removing them from the code now... At some point we have to
remove them, but there should be a long enough transition period.

Cheers,

Jakob