[Rock-dev] Periodic task mandatory for needs_reliable_connection?

Christian Rauch Christian.Rauch at dfki.de
Tue Apr 15 11:59:53 CEST 2014

Hi,

is there another way to guarantee a reliable connection without periodic
samples (e.g. indexed samples)?

Our camera (IDS) provides frames as they become available which are then
processed by the object detection component on a
'needs_reliable_connection' port. The only workaround I see so far is to
call the camera task periodically which results in unneeded calls of the
updateHook.

What is the common practice on this? Should sensors deliver data
periodically even if there is no new data or should processing
components not rely on every single data sample package but only on the
last one? Even if the task is periodic, a sample might be lost.

Regards,
Christian

--
  Christian Rauch