[Rock-dev] Possible patch for the aggregator

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:25:10 CEST 2014

Looking quickly at it, I think the patch goes in the right direction.
However, I definitely **NOT** agree with the commit message. Now, if this
throws a lot, it probably means that you have a serious problem with how
your timestamper is configured (or, even worse, with your data acquisition).

About the patch
============
A possibly better patch would save the last returned period and return it
instead of m_initial_period. (Not sure if it is really better, though)

About the message: Git commit messages are formatted with a single first
line (the summary), a blank line and then the rest of the commit message.
The summary should describe what is modified (not *why* it is modified).
The why is better place in the bulk of the message, for instance:

timestamper: fix exception thrown when the time buffer gets empty while we
actually have an initial period

The time buffer might get empty (we get this a lot with our ethernet
hokuyo), in which case getPeriodInternal ends
up throwing an exception even though we do have a period estimate (the
initial period).

About the timestamper configuration
Why is the time buffer getting empty this often in your case ? It should
definitely not !

Sylvain