[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Problems to get ROS-Rock working in all branches (Ubuntu 12.04)

Essen von Mathias mathias.vonessen at tut.fi
Tue Aug 26 18:10:37 CEST 2014

Hi Steffen,

In master, rock.ros goes now through autoproj, but  ROS doesn't get "identified" at runtime. E.g. TRANSPORT_ROS variable remains undefined when calling rock-display.

In Orocos::ROS::available?
         defined? TRANSPORT_ROS  # not defined when coming here (line 4 of tools/orocos.rb/lib/orocos/ros.rb)

Installing of ROS packages with aup works, but user needs to make the directory /rock/ros first. Otherwise you get :
"ros has no VCS, but is not checked out in /opt/rock/ros". Apparently I was mislead by the error message. I should've read it "directory missing".

I was wondering if this was the problem in the first place? Perhaps I should've just created directory rock/ros prior to installation of rock.ros.

I also tried "aup ros", but rock-display still didn't show ROS's name service.

BR,
Mathias