[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Problems to get ROS-Rock working in all branches (Ubuntu 12.04)

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Wed Aug 27 09:44:16 CEST 2014

Hi Mathias,
> In master, rock.ros goes now through autoproj, but  ROS doesn't get "identified" at runtime. E.g. TRANSPORT_ROS variable remains undefined when calling rock-display.
>
> In Orocos::ROS::available?
>           defined? TRANSPORT_ROS  # not defined when coming here (line 4 of tools/orocos.rb/lib/orocos/ros.rb)

Actually, I never used rock-display to see the ros part, I tested that
stuff using the ros tooling. Also I used an extra ruby script to get
(not start) running task contexts and connected them there (or called
publish_to_ros on the ports I wanted to have in ROS)

It could be possible that the issue is not the bridge itself, but
rock-display support for ros datatypes.

Can you test whether publish_to_ros works? (in a script and use ross
tooling to see the data)

> Installing of ROS packages with aup works, but user needs to make the directory /rock/ros first. Otherwise you get :
> "ros has no VCS, but is not checked out in /opt/rock/ros". Apparently I was mislead by the error message. I should've read it "directory missing".
>
> I was wondering if this was the problem in the first place? Perhaps I should've just created directory rock/ros prior to installation of rock.ros.

I think so, but the error was my mistake but the rock/ros directory was
never meant to be used in first place when writing rock.ros in the
autoproj/manifest file.

The ros package support may be considered late alpha phase, not more. It
was just convenient in a project where we used the bridge, but there are
sill some things that can be done better.

Kind regards,

Steffen

> BR,
> Mathias