[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Problems to get ROS-Rock working in all branches (Ubuntu 12.04)

Essen von Mathias mathias.vonessen at tut.fi
Thu Aug 28 14:39:57 CEST 2014

Hi Steffen,

Unfortunately publishing to ROS doesn't work for me. I get

tools/orocos.rb/lib/orocos/ros/ports.rb:14:in `publish_on_ros' uninitialized constant Orocos::TRANSPORT_ROS (NameError)

I tried to same code on stable and that worked without problems.

> > Installing of ROS packages with aup works, but user needs to make the
> directory /rock/ros first. Otherwise you get :
> > "ros has no VCS, but is not checked out in /opt/rock/ros". Apparently I was
> mislead by the error message. I should've read it "directory missing".
> >
> > I was wondering if this was the problem in the first place? Perhaps I
> should've just created directory rock/ros prior to installation of rock.ros.
> >

> I think so, but the error was my mistake but the rock/ros directory was
> never meant to be used in first place when writing rock.ros in the
> autoproj/manifest file.
>
> The ros package support may be considered late alpha phase, not more. It
> was just convenient in a project where we used the bridge, but there are
> sill some things that can be done better.

Understood. I used the bridge during last winter and I was hoping that I could use it again.
I'm willing to help if there's anything I can help with to fix the bridge in master.

In stable I just noticed that publishing of ro_ptr<Frame> doesn't work for me. Publishing of ro_ptr<Frame> makes the program to die with SIGSEGV (11). Standard data types get published ok.

BR,
Mathias