[Rock-dev] Github migration - almost there

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:42:07 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Christian Rauch <Christian.Rauch at dfki.de>
wrote:

> Am 08.07.2014 13:53, schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
>
>  I don't like this, as in most situations people *want* the GUI. The nogui
>> case is a special case. all packages including the GUI is the common case.
>> Note that gui/vizkit was already part of rock.toolchain before the
>> migration.
>>
> For me the gui should be also not a part of the toolchain. The toolchain
> should contain tools for building and running a system. The gui is used to
> visualize and debugging.

All (or close) of developers installations will most probably want the GUI.
All control stations will want the GUI. The only

With rock.core as it is right now, we basically cover 90% of all the rock
installations. That's the very goal of having a rock.core in the first
place, as it is part of the rock core "experience" (I hate that word ...).

> But there should be one metapackage (rock.minimal?) that only contains the
> packages from the infrastructure that every installation really needs, for
> example orogen, rtt, base-types, roby, syskit. Without them you cannot
> build and run any rock installation.

Why not ? You can run components without orocos.rb. Probably something that
will happen more and more in embedded systems, where one will just start a
deployment with the few relevant components inside, doing the
"orchestration" from another machine. No roby, no syskit, no ruby for that
matter. You could even pre-generate the components on a separate machine
and only build them on the target machine (that would remove orogen). As
soon as we start speaking about particular needs, I really don't see where
the limit is.

The problem with this whole thread is that you are opening a can of worms.
I want, with the rock.core metapackage, to cover 90% of the installations
*and* make it easy for new users.

By just using the minimal packageset I don't need to select all required
> packages manually and you are not forced to install optional packages.

FYI, the only way to get rid of an optional package is currently to exclude
it from the build.