[Rock-dev] The issue with Rock

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Thu Jun 5 09:08:39 CEST 2014

Good Morning,

I don't know what you mean with resistance, in the past master was the
most "stable" version with the newest features.
Therefore there was no resistance.

Specially for Syskit/Roby i not posted all bugs, most of the bugs i
workaround, but i will start to create bug-requests for this...

Regarding the new functionality, you are right, most of these features
are not needed, they make only the life easier..., but if i as developer
see the need of a feature and implement it, i want to use this directly.
I think this is normal, since the rock-devs are not pure-rock devs, work
is done if we feel that we need enhancements...

Maybe we should rename the structure or introduce a experimental branch.
Phsychological i have the impression that "master" gets associated with
"newest" not with an "unstable development" version. Maybe we should
rename or create an additional "unstable" branch, from where the release
policy to master is not so fixed windowed...

example development:
- work is done on experimental and pushed as soon as the dev thing it
might work
- experimental is pushed to master, as soon the responsible dev thing
his changes work for all (few days upto a week?)

Again i thing the primary reasons why most of all stays on master ist
that the other branches does not have the "needed"("wished") features,
or they have bugs that are not pushed from master

Thoughts?
Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn