[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Place for the robot model and simulation scenes in the bundle

Raul Dominguez Raul.Dominguez at dfki.de
Thu Apr 2 10:45:58 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 02.04.2015 07:27, Steffen Planthaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 01.04.2015 um 18:01 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
>>> for the robot models
>>> <bundle_root>robot_name/model/ (e.g. asguard/*.smurf)
>> In SDF, and as far as I understand in SMURF as well, one would
>> "compose" models together. I.e. if I have a SDF model for an arm, I
>> would just import it in another SDF file. Where would we put "common
>> models" under that scheme ?
> Shouldn't have the arm in your example have it's own bundle?
>
> I mean things you can compose together have their own functionalities
> and should also have their own bundle, so they can also be composed
> software-wise, correct?
I guess you mean common models to various robots. Like an arm that is
used in various robots that are controlled through the same bundle.
Steffen proposal should work for that case.
Example:
<arm_bundle_root>/arm_name/model
<aila_bundle_root>/aila/model (here reuse the arm_bundle robot model)
<icub_bundle_root>/icub/model (here reuse the arm_bundle robot model)

IMO a bundle should provide support for one robot and also groups of them.
Having a robot-wise bundle eases the reuse of robot's specific code but
we also need to coordinate them.

>>> for the gazebo world / mars scenes
>>> <bundle_root>simulation/scenes
>> I'm warming up to the 'simulation' folder, actually.
> Yeah, but the robot model also contains the transformations and is not
> only used for simulation.
The robot model (smurf and others) though used also in the simulation
would be placed under
<bundle>robot_name/model/