[Rock-dev] Proposal for a Rock website redesign

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:32:31 CET 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Steffen Planthaber
<Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discussed the possibility to use "github pages" to host the
> website with Kai from "rock-simulation". (https://pages.github.com/)
+1 ... kind of

That was one of the main reasons why I wanted to use jekyll in the
first place. However, the main issue there is that I would still very
much prefer to have rock-robotics.org as our main URL.

Some additional points:
 - it seems that we can keep rock-robotics.org as our main URL
(https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/).
 - the issue of how to update the API and package directory. I would
like to get the HTML of the package directory generated client-side
via javascript, the JS input being JSON files generated and added to
the gh-pages branch. This would remove the dependency on having
successful full builds as the package directory could easily be
updated incrementally. Could handle the API identically, but updating
the whole API doc on github is going to be a pain. Currently, the only
API-related thing that is required by the package directory is whether
a package has API doc or not. This could also be stored as JSON and
updated client-side.