I am a DFKI Research Fellow and principal researcher at DFKI. I have studied computer science, artificial intelligence, and computational linguistics at the Universities of Regensburg, Koblenz-Landau, and at the Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany. I obtained a Dr. rer. nat. degree in Computer Science in 1994, and the Venia Legendi in Computational Linguistics in 2004, both from the Saarland University. Since August 2014 I am an apl. Professor at the Saarland University. I am a guest lecture at the Institute of Applied Informatics of the Alpen-Adria University of Klagenfurt, Austria.
The core of my research interest is in the field of natural language driven human computer interaction, where natural language is the common interface for extracting, classifying, and talking about information from large-scale unstructured text sources.
Projects and Activities
- Language Technology
- Information Retrieval
- Information Extraction
- Textual Inference
- Machine Learning
- Question Answering
Program Committees (2016)
- Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2016), Austin, Texas, USA on November 2-6, 2016.
- 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (Coling), 2016.
- 10th edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC), 23-28 May 2016, Portorož (Slovenia)
- TextGraphs-10: Graph-based Methods for Natural Language Processing Workshop at NAACL-HLT 2016, San Diego, CA, June 17, 2016
- WASSA 2016 : 7th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment & Social Media Analysis, To be held in conjuntion with the NAACL-HLT 2016 Conference.
- Member of the standing reviewing committee of the Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (TACL)
- Editoral Board member of Information — Open Access Information Science Journal