I am a DFKI Research Fellow and principal researcher at DFKI. I have studied computer science, artificial intelligence, and computational linguistics at the Universities of Regensburg, Koblenz-Landau, and at the Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany. I obtained a Dr. rer. nat. degree in Computer Science in 1994, and the Venia Legendi in Computational Linguistics in 2004, both from the Saarland University. Since August 2014 I am an apl. Professor at the Saarland University.
The core of my research interest is in the field of natural language driven human computer interaction, where natural language is the common interface for extracting, classifying, and talking about information from large-scale unstructured text sources.
Projects and Activities
- Language Technology
- Machine Learning
- Information Extraction
- Question Answering
- Textual Inference
- Interactive Text Exploration
Program Committees (2015)
- Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2015)
- 20TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLICATION OF NATURAL LANGUAGE TO INFORMATION SYSTEMS (NLDB 2015)
- Fourth International Workshop on Systems and Frameworks for Computational Morphology (SFCM 2015)
- Member of the standing reviewing committee of the Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (TACL)