Skip to main content Skip to main navigation


How far can Wearable Augmented Reality Influence Customer Shopping Behavior

Hamraz Javaheri; Maryam Mirzaei; Paul Lukowicz
In: MobiQuitous 2020-17th EAI International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services. ACM International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems (MobiQuitous-2020), Pages 464-469, ACM, 12/2020.


We investigate if providing shoppers with Augmented reality (AR) as a shopping tool can lead to an increase in purchase rate compared with conventional shopping applications. In a ”simulated shopping” study with two groups with a total number of 20 participants, a test group used a wearable AR device (HoloLens) as a primary shopping method while a control group used a tablet as a conventional 2D shopping device. According to the surveys collected from participants, 19 participants (95%) commented that the AR method was more joyful than conventional 2D method. Furthermore, all participants said that their experience with AR technology was more realistic. 16 participants (80%) believed that the AR method was more influential than the conventional method, but the other four participants (20%) said that neither of the methods had any impact on their buying intentions. Although the mean number of products added to the basket by each person in HoloLens experience and tablet experience was not significantly different (p=0.675), the mean number of bought items was significantly higher in HoloLens experience compared to the tablet experience (p=0.004). In conclusion, AR increased customer’s interest in shopping. While it had no significant impact on adding products to the shopping cart, it affected the rate of purchase.

Weitere Links